If you’re thinking about switching careers, and are seeking a challenging and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded financially, perhaps you should consider Dental Assistant Schools in Alachua, FL. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a rather swift certification program, you could change careers in a short time.
What should you consider when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Alachua, FL?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure you look for a program that provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to know everything from how to mix a suitable cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certification program. This should enable you to grasp the basics of the job, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Having said that, bear in mind that not all employers will require that you attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assistant program in Alachua, FL will offer a chance to experience what the work is really like, by way of internships, externships or laboratory training. This offers several advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, and not just something you intend to study. Secondly, you’ll get some practical knowledge in your chosen career. It is one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, but it is a completely different thing to actually help x-ray a real person! Finally, having real world experience enables you to be far more valuable to employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it really is what you want to do. The more experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Alachua, FL
- Fortis offers a Medical Assisting program designed to propel you forward
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Most campuses offer hands-on instruction for a variety of healthcare fields
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- Dental Assistant (10-Month diploma program)
- Medical Assistant Technician (10-Month diploma program)
Pursue your education with American College for Medical Careers. We offer degree and diploma programs in the allied health field at our campus in Orlando, Florida.
- Dental Assisting with Expanded Functions
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate
- Discover how you could play a part in the growing healthcare industry at Keiser U
- Cover healthcare leadership, marketing, public policy, healthcare finance & more
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Altierus Career College is a non-profit, higher education school system with campuses in Atlanta, Houston and Tampa. We don’t just see you as a student. We see you as an individual with your own reasons for being here. Our mission is to help you find a career path that’s right for you and become a professional in as little as 10 months.
- Diploma - Dental Assistant
Get personalized attention at UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services—they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at ultimatemedical.edu/gainful-employment.pdf and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement and occupations.
- Dental Assistant with Expanded Functions
- Medical Assistant
Southern Technical College provides education and training in a variety of medical and technical areas that enable graduates to obtain entry-level employment. As a student at Southern Technical College, you will have the opportunity learn in several different ways.
- Medical Assisting (Diploma)
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Bachelor of Science in Imaging SciencesImaging Administration Concentration
No occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to know all about the most recent dental procedures and to have finished school with top grades. Up to 75 percent of men and women in the US experience some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this line of work, you must have the skills to understand how to manage people who are scared of tooth and gum treatments, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is through hands-on instructing in the classroom, and being confident enough with the practical experience to calm frightened patients.
As with almost every industry, you are part of a team. You need to learn how to work with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office personnel. A training program that helps you to work in a team situation will benefit you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very extensive field, and the type of work differs drastically from one location to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a remote area could be very different from being a dental assistant at a large, corporate dental office in a major city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. In case you are focused on a specific career path, make certain that the school you select offers it, or is going to enable you to obtain a position in your desired concentration once you complete your training.
Even though it is unnecessary in many States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might give you an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam qualifies one to carry out more advanced jobs. This naturally makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some valuable information and are prepared to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Alachua, FL listed and you will be on the path to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013