If perhaps you’re thinking of changing careers, and are in search of a fascinating and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded fiscally, perhaps you should look into Dental Assistant Schools in Battlefield, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary rates in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a comparatively quick certification program, it is possible to change careers very quickly.
What should you lookout for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Battlefield, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure to try to find a program that provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to be familiar with everything from how to mix a suitable cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certificate program. This should allow you to have an understanding of the basics of the occupation, while preparing you to understand on-site job skills. However, bear in mind that not all employers that you attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assisting program in Battlefield, MO should provide a chance to experience what the work is really like, through internships, externships or clinical training. This offers many advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, instead of just something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical education in your chosen occupation. It can be one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but an entirely different thing to actually x-ray an actual person! Thirdly, having real life experience makes you substantially more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it is really what you want to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Battlefield, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Virtually no occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to learn all about the latest dental procedures and to have finished your training with perfect grades. Up to 75 percent of adults in the United States are affected by some degree of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this industry, you must have the ability to be able to manage individuals who might be frightened of tooth and periodontal procedures, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to learn these skills is with hands-on teaching in the classroom, and being confident enough with the practical experience to relax worried patients.
As with nearly every career, you are going to be part of an office team. You need to learn how to interact with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office personnel. A training program that helps you to work in a team setting will benefit you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very diverse field, and the type of work will vary tremendously from one location to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a small town is very different from being a part of a large, corporate dental office in a big city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. Should you be considering a specific career path, make sure that the school you ultimately choose offers it, or is going to help you secure a position in your planned concentration after you graduate.
Even though it is not necessary in many States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could give you an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a number of States, passing this exam qualifies you to perform more complex work. This naturally makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some valuable information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Battlefield, MO shown and you will be on the path to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013