If perhaps you’re thinking about changing occupations, and are seeking a challenging and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded financially, perhaps you should look into Dental Assistant Schools in Bowling Green, MO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a pretty fast certification program, you could change professions very quickly.
What should you look for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Bowling Green, MO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure you look for a program which provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will have to be familiar with everything from how to mix a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you ought to not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certification program. This will allow you to grasp the basics of the industry, while preparing you to understand on-site job skills. Nevertheless, understand that not all employers require you to attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A top dental assisting school in Bowling Green, MO should offer the opportunity to experience what the work is really like, through internships, externships or practical training. This provides a few advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, as opposed to something you want to study. Secondly, you’ll gain some practical education in your chosen occupation. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but it is a completely different thing to actually x-ray a real person! Finally, having real life experience enables you to be much more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is truly what you wish to do. The more working experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Bowling Green, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
No occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the most recent dental procedures and to have completed your training with good grades. As many as 75 percent of all men and women in the US encounter some degree of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this profession, you will need the ability to be able to handle patients who are scared of tooth and periodontal procedures, as well as of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is through hands-on instruction in the classroom, and feeling comfortable enough with the practical experience to calm nervous patients.
As in nearly every vocation, you will be a part of an office team. You will need to learn how to work with patients, as well as with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office workers. A training program that helps you to work in a team situation will benefit you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a really wide ranging field, and the variety of work will vary significantly from one location to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a small town can be quite different from being an employee of a large, corporate dentist office in a major city. There are also many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. If you are interested in a specific career path, make certain that the you finally choose offers it, or is prepared to help you secure a job in your planned concentration after you complete your training.
Although it is not necessary in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it may provide you with an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam enables one to carry out more complex work. This naturally makes you more valuable to a possible employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some valuable information and are ready to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Bowling Green, MO shown and you will be on your way to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013