If you’re considering changing occupations, and are in search of a challenging and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded monetarily, perhaps you should think about Dental Assistant Schools in Brentwood, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a rather swift certification program, it is possible to change occupations very quickly.
What should you look for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Brentwood, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Be sure to search for a program that offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to have knowledge of everything from how to mix an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills that you ought to not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certification program. This will allow you to grasp the basics of the job, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Having said that, remember not all employers you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assisting school in Brentwood, MO will provide you with an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, by way of internships, externships or practical training. This provides several benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, instead of just something you intend to study. Secondly, you’ll gain some practical knowledge in your chosen vocation. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but a completely different thing to actually x-ray an actual patient! Thirdly, having real life experience makes you considerably more valuable to employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it is what you wish to do. The more practical experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Brentwood, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Virtually no occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to learn all about the modern dental procedures and to have finished your training with high grades. Up to 75 per cent of all men and women in the United States experience some degree of dental fear or phobia. To work in this industry, you must have the ability to be able to deal with individuals who are scared of tooth and periodontal treatments, or even of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to learn these skills is with hands-on instruction in the classroom, and feeling comfortable enough with the practical experience to relax worried patients.
As in virtually any industry, you are going to be part of an office team. You will need to learn how to communicate with patients, as well as with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office staff. A training program which enables you to learn in a team setting will benefit you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a wonderfully wide ranging field, and the nature of the work may differ tremendously from one office to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a remote area is quite different from being a part of a big, corporate dentist clinic in a major city. There are also several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. If you happen to be considering a specific career path, make sure that the program you ultimately choose offers it, or is going to assist you to obtain a job in your preferred concentration after you complete your training.
Even though it is not required in numerous States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies one to carry out more advanced work. This clearly makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some useful information and are ready to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Brentwood, MO listed and you will be on your way to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013