Maybe you’re considering switching professions, and are looking for an exciting and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded monetarily, perhaps you need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in Chaffee, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels exceeding $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a rather quick certification program, you can change careers quickly.
What should you look for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Chaffee, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure that you search for a program that offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will need to know everything from how to mix a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certificate program. This should allow you to have an understanding of the basics of the job, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. However, bear in mind that not all employers will require that you attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assisting school in Chaffee, MO should provide you with the opportunity to experience what the work is really like, via internships, externships or laboratory training. This presents several advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, rather than just something you intend to study. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical knowledge in your chosen profession. It can be one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, yet a totally different thing to actually help x-ray a real person! Finally, having real world experience makes you considerably more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it is truly what you wish to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Chaffee, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
No job is purely technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of about the most recent dental procedures and to have completed your training with good grades. As many as 75 per cent of adults in the United States have some amount of dental fear or phobia. To work in this line of work, you need the skills to know how to deal with people who might be scared of tooth and periodontal treatments, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is via hands-on training in the classroom, and being confident enough with the practical experience to soothe worried patients.
As with nearly every career, you are going to be a part of an office team. You will need to learn how to interact with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office workers. A training program that enables you to learn in a team setting will help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very wide ranging field, and the type of work will vary significantly from one office to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a rural area may be very different from being a part of a large, corporate dentist clinic in a major city. There are also many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. If you are thinking about a specific career path, make sure that the school you choose offers it, or is able to assist you to secure a job in your planned concentration after you graduate.
Even though it is not required in numerous States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies one to perform more advanced work. This naturally makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some helpful information and are ready to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Chaffee, MO listed and you will be on your way to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013