Maybe you’re contemplating switching careers, and are trying to find a fantastic and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded fiscally, maybe you need to think about Dental Assistant Schools in Durango, CO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a rather quick certification program, you could change careers fairly quickly.
What should you look for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Durango, CO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
You will want to search for a program which offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to be familiar with everything from how to create a suitable cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you ought to not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to have an understanding of the essentials of the industry, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. However, remember that not all employers will require that you attend an accredited program.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assistant program in Durango, CO will offer an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, through internships, externships or clinical training. This offers a number of benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, as opposed to something you want to learn about. Secondly, you’ll gather some practical education in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to understand the science of developing x-rays, but it is a completely different thing to actually x-ray an actual patient! Finally, possessing real world experience makes you far more valuable to employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it is really what you want to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Durango, CO
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in CollegeAmerica is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Assisting (AOS)
Hardly any job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to know about the modern dental procedures and to have completed school with perfect grades. Nearly 75 percent of all men and women in the US have some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this line of work, you should have the ability to understand how to handle people who are fearful of tooth and periodontal procedures, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to master these skills is with hands-on instruction in the classroom, and feeling secure enough with the knowledge to relax frightened patients.
As with virtually any industry, you are part of a team. You will need to learn how to communicate with patients, along with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office personnel. A training program which enables you to learn in a team environment will benefit you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a wonderfully wide ranging field, and the nature of the tasks varies drastically from one location to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a remote area could be very different from being a dental assistant at a major, corporate dentist office in a big city. There are also many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. In case you are focused on a specific career path, make sure that the you ultimately choose offers it, or is going to help you secure a job in your planned concentration once you complete your training.
Although it is not necessary in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables one to do more complex work. This obviously makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some helpful information and are ready to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Durango, CO shown and you will be on your way to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013