If you’re thinking of changing careers, and are in search of an exciting and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded monetarily, you probably need to think about Dental Assistant Schools in East Pittsburgh, PA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary levels over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a typically fast certification program, you can change occupations quickly.
What should you look for when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near East Pittsburgh, PA?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure that you try to find a program which offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, it is very important to know everything from how to mix an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills that you ought to not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to grasp the basics of the occupation, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Nevertheless, understand that not all employers you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assisting program in East Pittsburgh, PA must offer you the opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or practical training. This provides many benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, as opposed to something you want to study. Secondly, you’ll gather some practical knowledge in your chosen career. It is one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, but a completely different thing to actually x-ray an actual patient! Finally, having real-world experience enables you to be much more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it is really what you wish to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in East Pittsburgh, PA
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Specialized Business
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
MPH@UNC is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
Virtually no occupation is purely technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of about the most recent dental procedures and to have completed school with perfect grades. Approximately 75 per cent of all adults in the United States are affected by some level of dental fear or phobia. To work in this field, you should have the skills to be able to manage people who might be afraid of tooth and gum procedures, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is via hands-on instructing in the classroom, and feeling secure enough with the practical knowledge to soothe frightened patients.
As in just about any career, you are a part of a team. You need to learn how to communicate with patients, along with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office personnel. A training program that enables you to work in a team environment will benefit you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a really extensive field, and the type of tasks may differ significantly from one office to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a small town can be quite different from being an employee of a major, corporate dentist office in a major city. In addition there are several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. Should you be thinking about a specific career path, be sure that the program you select offers it, or is able to enable you to secure a job in your desired concentration after you graduate.
Although it is unnecessary in many States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might provide you with an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a number of States, passing this exam enables you to do more complex work. This clearly makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some handy information and are prepared to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near East Pittsburgh, PA listed and you will be on your way to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013