If perhaps you’re contemplating switching occupations, and are trying to find an excellent and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded fiscally, maybe you need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in East Rockaway, NY. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant jobs over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a relatively swift certification program, you could change occupations very quickly.
What should you consider when researching Dental Assistant Schools near East Rockaway, NY?
Focus on Science and Theory
You will want to look for a program which provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to have knowledge of everything from how to mix a suitable cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills that you ought to not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certificate program. This should allow you to have an understanding of the basics of the occupation, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Having said that, remember not all employers require that you attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assisting program in East Rockaway, NY must provide an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, via internships, externships or clinical training. This provides a number of advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, rather than just something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll gain some practical knowledge in your chosen profession. It is one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, yet a completely different thing to actually help x-ray a real patient! Finally, having real world experience enables you to be much more valuable to employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it really is what you wish to do. The more working experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in East Rockaway, NY
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assisting
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
About the College of Westchester
Since 1915, The College of Westchester (CW) has focused on the career success of its students. CW's academic programs are carefully designed to provide the skills and competencies most desired by employers. Our campus environment is highly personal and our culture centers on service to students. CW faculty is selected based on experience, credentials and a caring attitude to bring real world knowledge to the classroom. The College's technologies and web-enhanced learning tools give students anywhere, anytime connectivity to courses, professors, classmates and services. The College of Westchester offers an exceptional experience that can lead to a lifetime of achievement and success.
- AAS-Medical Assistant Management
- Medical Office Specialist
Get hands-on training with Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute. Our campuses in New York and Connecticut can help give you career training in a wide variety of fields, including accounting, cosmetology, criminal justice, electrical systems technology, HVAC, IT, legal assisting, massage therapy, allied health, office administration, and more.
- Medical Assistant - Day
- Medical Assistant - Eve
Take the fast track to your future at Elmira Business Institute!
Learn how you can get the training you need to begin a rewarding career in a field of high-demand. Complete and submit the form and one of our Admissions Representatives will be in touch soon to tell you more.
- Medical Assisting
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
- Medical Office Assistant-CERT
- Veterinary Assistant
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
Hardly any job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the modern dental procedures and to have finished school with good grades. Approximately 75 per cent of adults in the United States are affected by some amount of dental fear or phobia. To work in this profession, you must have the ability to know how to manage individuals who are terrified of tooth and gum procedures, as well as of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to learn these skills is with hands-on teaching in the classroom, and feeling comfortable enough with the experience to relax fearful patients.
As with nearly every profession, you will be part of a team. You will need to learn how to communicate with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office workers. A training program which enables you to work in a team setting can help you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very diverse field, and the nature of the tasks differs drastically from one location to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a small town could be very different from being a part of a large, corporate dentist clinic in a major city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. If you happen to be thinking about a specific career path, make sure the program you choose offers it, or is going to help you obtain a job in your preferred concentration after you complete your training.
Although it is unnecessary in most States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam qualifies you to perform more advanced jobs. This naturally makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some valuable information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near East Rockaway, NY shown and you will be on the path to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013