If you’re considering switching professions, and are looking for an excellent and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded financially, perhaps you should consider Dental Assistant Schools in Eldridge, IA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a typically swift certification program, you can change professions in a short time.
What should you look for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Eldridge, IA?
Focus on Science and Theory
You will want to look for a program which provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will need to have knowledge of everything from how to create a suitable cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills that you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to have an understanding of the fundamentals of the job, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. However, remember not all employers require that you attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A top dental assisting program in Eldridge, IA will provide the opportunity to experience what the work is really like, via internships, externships or clinical training. This presents several advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, instead of just something you want to learn about. Secondly, you’ll gain some practical education in your chosen vocation. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, yet a completely different thing to actually x-ray an actual person! Finally, possessing real-world experience enables you to be much more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it is what you want to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Eldridge, IA
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Medical Assistant
- See how you could play a crucial role in healthcare with a Medical Assisting degree
- This degree program is available in both English and Spanish
- Offers scholarships to qualified active-duty personnel, retirees & dependents
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
Virtually no job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the current dental procedures and to have finished your training with perfect grades. Approximately 75 per cent of all men and women in the US have some degree of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this line of work, you will need the expertise to know how to handle patients who might be terrified of tooth and gum treatments, or maybe of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to master these skills is via hands-on training in the classroom, and becoming secure enough with the practical experience to calm frightened patients.
As with nearly every industry, you will be a part of a team. It is essential to learn how to work with patients, as well as with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office workers. A training program that enables you to work in a team environment will benefit you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a wonderfully diversified field, and the nature of the tasks will vary considerably from one location to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a rural area could be very different from being a part of a big, corporate dentist office in a major city. There are also a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. Should you be interested in a specific career path, make certain that the school you select offers it, or is able to assist you to secure a job in your planned concentration after you graduate.
Even though it is not required in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might give you an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies you to perform more complex tasks. This obviously makes you more valuable to a possible employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some handy information and are ready to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Eldridge, IA listed and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013