If perhaps you’re contemplating switching occupations, and are seeking an exciting and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded financially, perhaps you need to think about Dental Assistant Schools in Festus, MO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a typically fast certification program, you could change careers fairly quickly.
What should you look for when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Festus, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure you look for a program which provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to be familiar with everything from how to create an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certification program. This should allow you to grasp the essentials of the industry, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Nevertheless, keep in mind that not all employers will require that you attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assistant school in Festus, MO will provide an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, through internships, externships or clinical training. This presents multiple benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, and not just something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical experience in your chosen occupation. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, however it is an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray an actual person! Finally, having real life experience makes you far more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it is what you want to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Festus, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
No occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to learn about the current dental procedures and to have completed your training with perfect grades. Approximately 75 per cent of adults in the US have some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this line of work, you will need the skills to know how to manage people who may be afraid of tooth and gum procedures, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is through hands-on training in the classroom, and feeling comfortable enough with the knowledge to soothe fearful patients.
As in almost every industry, you are part of an office team. You will need to learn how to work with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office workers. A training program that enables you to work in a team situation can help you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a really wide ranging field, and the variety of tasks differs significantly from one office to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a remote area could be very different from being an employee of a big, corporate dentist office in a large city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. Should you be interested in a specific career path, be sure that the school you ultimately choose offers it, or is able to help you obtain a position in your preferred concentration once you graduate.
Even though it is unnecessary in many States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could provide you with an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a number of States, passing this exam qualifies you to do more advanced tasks. This certainly makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some helpful information and are ready to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Festus, MO displayed and you will be on your way to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013