If you’re thinking about changing professions, and are seeking an excellent and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded financially, perhaps you need to think about Dental Assistant Schools in Fredericktown, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary rates over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a comparatively swift certification program, you will be able to change occupations in a short time.
What should you lookout for when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Fredericktown, MO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure to try to find a program that offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to be familiar with everything from how to create a suitable cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills that you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certificate program. This should allow you to grasp the fundamentals of the occupation, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Having said that, remember not all employers will require that you attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assistant school in Fredericktown, MO will provide you with the opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, via internships, externships or laboratory training. This presents multiple benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, as opposed to something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical knowledge in your chosen occupation. It can be one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, yet a totally different thing to actually x-ray a real patient! Finally, possessing real-world experience makes you far more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it is what you want to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Fredericktown, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Hardly any job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to know all about the current dental procedures and to have completed your training with top grades. Nearly 75 percent of men and women in the US have some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this field, you must have the skills to understand how to manage patients who might be terrified of tooth and periodontal treatments, or maybe of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is through hands-on teaching in the classroom, and getting confident enough with the knowledge to relax frightened patients.
As in nearly every vocation, you are a part of an office team. It is essential to learn how to work with patients, as well as with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office workers. A training program that enables you to work in a team setting can help you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a wonderfully diverse field, and the nature of the tasks will vary significantly from one office to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a remote area can be quite different from being part of a major, corporate dentist clinic in a large city. In addition there are several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. If you are considering a specific career path, be sure that the school you choose offers it, or is prepared to assist you to secure a job in your desired concentration after you graduate.
Even though it is unnecessary in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies one to perform more complex jobs. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a possible employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some valuable information and are prepared to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Fredericktown, MO displayed and you will be on your way to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013