Maybe you’re thinking of switching professions, and are searching for a fantastic and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded financially, perhaps you should think about Dental Assistant Schools in Hanley Hills, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates exceeding $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a comparatively quick certification program, you could change careers fairly quickly.
What should you consider when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Hanley Hills, MO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
You will want to search for a program which offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will need to be familiar with everything from how to mix a proper cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills that you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certification program. This will allow you to grasp the fundamentals of the occupation, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Having said that, remember that not all employers that you attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A top dental assistant program in Hanley Hills, MO must provide you with a chance to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or laboratory training. This presents a number of benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, instead of just something you want to study. Secondly, you’ll get some practical education in your chosen profession. It is one thing to understand the science of developing x-rays, however it is a totally different thing to actually x-ray a real person! Finally, possessing real world experience makes you much more valuable to employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it is really what you wish to do. The more experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Hanley Hills, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Virtually no occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of about the latest dental procedures and to have completed your training with perfect grades. Approximately 75 percent of men and women in the US experience some amount of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this profession, you will need the expertise to be able to handle people who are frightened of tooth and periodontal procedures, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to master these skills is through hands-on instructing in the classroom, and becoming comfortable enough with the knowledge to relax frightened patients.
As in nearly every occupation, you are a part of an office team. It is important to learn how to work with patients, along with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office workers. A training program that enables you to work in a team setting will help you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very diverse field, and the type of work can vary greatly from one location to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a small town is quite different from being a part of a big, corporate dentist office in a large city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. If you are thinking about a specific career path, make sure that the you select offers it, or is prepared to enable you to secure a position in your preferred concentration once you graduate.
Although it is not required in numerous States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might give you an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies you to perform more advanced tasks. This naturally makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some helpful information and are ready to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Hanley Hills, MO listed and you will be on the path to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013