Maybe you’re thinking of changing occupations, and are seeking an exciting and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded fiscally, perhaps you need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in Hermann, MO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a comparatively quick certification program, it is possible to change occupations fairly quickly.
What should you lookout for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Hermann, MO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure you look for a program that offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to know everything from how to make a suitable cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills that you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certificate program. This should enable you to understand the fundamentals of the job, while preparing you to understand on-site job skills. However, understand that not all employers you to attend an accredited program.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assisting program in Hermann, MO will offer a chance to experience what the work is actually like, via internships, externships or clinical training. This presents several advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, instead of just something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical education in your chosen profession. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but it is a completely different thing to actually x-ray a real patient! Thirdly, having real world experience makes you considerably more valuable to employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is really what you want to do. The more working experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Hermann, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
No job is purely technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to understand about the current dental procedures and to have completed school with high grades. As many as 75 per cent of adults in the United States suffer from some level of dental fear or phobia. To work in this line of work, you must have the expertise to be able to handle individuals who might be afraid of tooth and periodontal procedures, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to learn these skills is through hands-on instruction in the classroom, and being comfortable enough with the practical knowledge to relax fearful patients.
As in just about any job, you are going to be part of an office team. You will need to learn how to work with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office personnel. A training program that helps you to work in a team situation will benefit you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a really diverse field, and the nature of the tasks can vary tremendously from one office to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a rural area is quite different from being part of a major, corporate dentist clinic in a big city. In addition there are several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. If you are focused on a specific career path, make certain that the program you choose offers it, or is able to assist you to obtain a position in your preferred concentration once you complete your training.
Even though it is not necessary in most States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it may provide you with an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables one to perform more advanced tasks. This obviously makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some valuable information and are ready to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Hermann, MO listed and you will be on the path to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013