If you’re thinking about switching occupations, and are searching for a challenging and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded monetarily, you probably should think about Dental Assistant Schools in Luzerne, PA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a rather quick certification program, you will be able to change occupations in a short time.
What should you look for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Luzerne, PA?
Focus on Science and Theory
Be sure to search for a program that offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to have knowledge of everything from how to create an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you ought to not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certification program. This will allow you to have an understanding of the basics of the job, while preparing you to understand on-site job skills. Having said that, understand that not all employers require that you attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A top dental assistant school in Luzerne, PA should offer the opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or laboratory training. This provides a few advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, and not just something you intend to learn about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical knowledge in your chosen career. It can be one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, but a completely different thing to actually x-ray a real person! Thirdly, having real-world experience makes you substantially more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it is truly what you want to do. The more experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Luzerne, PA
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Specialized Business
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
MPH@UNC is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
Hardly any occupation is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to know about the current dental procedures and to have finished school with top grades. Approximately 75 percent of all adults in the United States have some amount of dental fear or phobia. To work in this field, you need the ability to be able to handle individuals who may be scared of tooth and periodontal treatments, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to master these skills is with hands-on training in the classroom, and becoming confident enough with the knowledge to calm frightened patients.
As in almost any profession, you will be a part of an office team. It is important to learn how to communicate with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office personnel. A training program which enables you to learn in a team environment can help you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very diverse field, and the type of tasks ranges considerably from one office to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a remote area may be very different from being a part of a big, corporate dentist clinic in a big city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. In case you are focused on a specific career path, make certain that the you choose offers it, or is able to assist you to obtain a position in your desired concentration once you graduate.
Even though it is not necessary in many States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables you to perform more advanced work. This clearly makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some useful information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Luzerne, PA listed and you will be on your way to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013