If you’re thinking of switching professions, and are searching for a challenging and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded financially, perhaps you need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in Malden, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates exceeding $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a somewhat fast certification program, you could change careers fairly quickly.
What should you look for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Malden, MO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure that you look for a program that offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will need to be familiar with everything from how to mix a suitable cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certification program. This will enable you to have an understanding of the essentials of the occupation, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Nevertheless, remember not all employers require that you attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assistant school in Malden, MO must provide a chance to experience what the work is actually like, via internships, externships or laboratory training. This provides a few advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, rather than just something you want to study. Secondly, you’ll gather some practical knowledge in your chosen career. It is one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, however it is an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray a real person! Thirdly, possessing real world experience enables you to be way more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is really what you want to do. The more experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Malden, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
No job is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the latest dental procedures and to have completed your training with perfect grades. Approximately 75 percent of all men and women in the US are affected by some degree of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this industry, you must have the skills to know how to handle people who may be scared of tooth and periodontal procedures, as well as of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to learn these skills is through hands-on teaching in the classroom, and feeling secure enough with the experience to soothe fearful patients.
As in just about any career, you are part of an office team. You need to learn how to work with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office staff. A training program that helps you to work in a team environment can help you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a really wide ranging field, and the type of tasks can vary drastically from one office to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a rural area is very different from being a part of a big, corporate dental office in a large city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. If you happen to be interested in a specific career path, be sure that the you choose offers it, or is prepared to assist you to obtain a position in your planned concentration after you graduate.
Although it is unnecessary in numerous States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might provide you with an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam qualifies you to carry out more advanced work. This naturally makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some helpful information and are ready to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Malden, MO shown and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013