If you’re contemplating switching careers, and are searching for a fantastic and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded fiscally, maybe you need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in Marion, IL. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary levels exceeding $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a pretty fast certification program, it is possible to change careers quickly.
What should you lookout for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Marion, IL?
Concentration on Science and Theory
You will want to try to find a program which offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will have to have knowledge of everything from how to make an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certification program. This should enable you to have an understanding of the fundamentals of the industry, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Nevertheless, bear in mind that not all employers you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assisting program in Marion, IL should offer the opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or practical training. This offers a few advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, as opposed to something you want to study. Secondly, you’ll get some practical experience in your chosen career. It is one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, however it is an entirely different thing to actually x-ray a real person! Finally, having real life experience makes you substantially more valuable to employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it really is what you want to do. The more working experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Marion, IL
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- Medical Assistant
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Public Health (MPH)
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master in Business Administration - Health Services Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Virtually no job is purely technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to know all about the latest dental procedures and to have finished school with good grades. As many as 75 percent of men and women in the US experience some degree of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this line of work, you must have the expertise to understand how to deal with patients who may be fearful of tooth and gum treatments, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to master these skills is with hands-on instruction in the classroom, and becoming comfortable enough with the practical knowledge to soothe nervous patients.
As with just about any occupation, you are a part of a team. It is very important to learn how to interact with patients, along with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office personnel. A training program that helps you to learn in a team environment will benefit you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very diversified field, and the variety of work can vary considerably from one location to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a remote area is very different from being an employee of a major, corporate dental office in a large city. There are also several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. Should you be focused on a specific career path, make sure the you select offers it, or is prepared to enable you to obtain a position in your planned concentration after you complete your training.
Although it is not required in many States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables one to carry out more complex work. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some valuable information and are ready to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Marion, IL listed and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013