If you’re thinking about switching careers, and are seeking a challenging and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded fiscally, you probably need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in New Freedom, PA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels exceeding $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a relatively fast certification program, you could change professions fairly quickly.
What should you consider when researching Dental Assistant Schools near New Freedom, PA?
Concentration on Science and Theory
You will want to search for a program which provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to be familiar with everything from how to create an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills that you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certification program. This should allow you to have an understanding of the essentials of the industry, while preparing you to understand on-site job skills. Nevertheless, remember not all employers that you attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A top dental assisting school in New Freedom, PA will offer you an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, via internships, externships or practical training. This provides multiple benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, instead of just something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical experience in your chosen occupation. It can be one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, yet an entirely different thing to actually x-ray a real person! Finally, having real world experience makes you far more valuable to employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it is what you want to do. The more experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in New Freedom, PA
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Specialized Business
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
Hardly any job is purely technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of about the modern dental procedures and to have completed your training with perfect grades. Approximately 75 per cent of men and women in the US are affected by some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this profession, you will need the ability to understand how to handle patients who may be frightened of tooth and periodontal procedures, or even of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to learn these skills is via hands-on teaching in the classroom, and being comfortable enough with the practical experience to soothe worried patients.
As with just about any career, you are part of an office team. It is very important to learn how to communicate with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office workers. A training program that helps you to work in a team setting will benefit you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very extensive field, and the type of work can vary considerably from one office to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a small town is quite different from being a dental assistant at a major, corporate dental office in a major city. There are also several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. In case you are interested in a specific career path, make sure that the school you ultimately choose offers it, or is going to help you secure a job in your planned concentration once you graduate.
Even though it is not necessary in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam enables you to perform more complex tasks. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some helpful information and are prepared to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near New Freedom, PA shown and you will be on the path to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013