Maybe you’re considering switching careers, and are seeking a fascinating and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded financially, you probably should think about Dental Assistant Schools in Newton, KS. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary rates upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a pretty swift certification program, you will be able to change careers very quickly.
What should you look for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Newton, KS?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure you search for a program that provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to have knowledge of everything from how to create an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills that you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certification program. This should allow you to grasp the fundamentals of the occupation, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Having said that, remember not all employers will require that you attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assistant school in Newton, KS must offer an opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, through internships, externships or practical training. This provides many benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, instead of just something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll gain some practical education in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, but it is a totally different thing to actually help x-ray a real patient! Thirdly, possessing real-world experience enables you to be considerably more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it really is what you want to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Newton, KS
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
Virtually no job is purely technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of about the current dental procedures and to have completed school with perfect grades. As many as 75 per cent of adults in the United States have some amount of dental fear or phobia. To work in this field, you should have the expertise to know how to manage individuals who might be fearful of tooth and periodontal procedures, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to master these skills is through hands-on instructing in the classroom, and becoming comfortable enough with the experience to soothe fearful patients.
As in nearly every job, you are part of an office team. You will need to learn how to communicate with patients, as well as with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office workers. A training program which enables you to work in a team environment can help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very wide ranging field, and the variety of tasks may differ drastically from one office to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a remote area can be quite different from being an employee of a big, corporate dental clinic in a big city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. Should you be considering a specific career path, make sure the school you choose offers it, or is going to enable you to obtain a position in your planned concentration once you graduate.
Although it is not necessary in numerous States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam enables one to perform more complex work. This clearly makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some handy information and are ready to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Newton, KS shown and you will be on the path to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013