If you’re considering switching occupations, and are in search of an exciting and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded monetarily, you probably need to think about Dental Assistant Schools in Oldsmar, FL. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a somewhat fast certification program, it is possible to change careers quickly.
What should you lookout for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Oldsmar, FL?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure that you search for a program that offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to know everything from how to create an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to have an understanding of the fundamentals of the occupation, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Nevertheless, understand that not all employers will require you to attend an accredited program.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assisting program in Oldsmar, FL should provide you with the opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or practical training. This presents multiple advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, instead of just something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical education in your chosen career. It can be one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, but it is a completely different thing to actually x-ray an actual patient! Thirdly, possessing real-world experience makes you way more valuable to employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it is truly what you want to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Oldsmar, FL
- Fortis offers a Medical Assisting program designed to propel you forward
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Most campuses offer hands-on instruction for a variety of healthcare fields
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
Pursue your education with American College for Medical Careers. We offer degree and diploma programs in the allied health field at our campus in Orlando, Florida.
- Dental Assisting with Expanded Functions
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate
Get Personalized Attention at UMA
Ultimate Medical Academy is committed to helping you succeed in a healthcare career. That’s why we offer assistance from the very beginning, throughout training, and even after you graduate. One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services—they’re all included in our competitively priced tuition.
- Dental Assistant with Expanded Functions
- Medical Assistant
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Imaging SciencesClinical Imaging Concentration
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Southern Technical College provides education and training in a variety of medical and technical areas that enable graduates to obtain entry-level employment. As a student at Southern Technical College, you will have the opportunity learn in several different ways.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- A.S. - Diagnostic Medical Sonography
About City College
Since 1984, City College, a private not-for-profit university, has been dedicated to providing a hands-on, practical and relevant college education to students in Florida and online. Our mission is to educate and train students in their chosen major, in preparation for employment in specific career fields. Whether you are a recent high school graduate, an adult thinking about returning to college, or a military veteran seeking a new civilian career, the City College Office of Admissions will help you make the right choice for your unique situation and begin a rewarding new career.
We offer our students an atmosphere of caring and respect. At City College you’re not just a student, you’re family.
- A.S. - A.H. - Medical Assisting
Florida Vocational Institute is committed to providing a quality education in a lifelong, rewarding career. With two Florida campuses in Miramar and Miami, FVI offers first-class training to prepare students for careers in Health Care and Information Technology.
- Medical Assistant
No occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to learn all about the current dental procedures and to have completed your training with perfect grades. Approximately 75 percent of adults in the US experience some degree of dental fear or phobia. To work in this industry, you need the ability to be able to handle individuals who are frightened of tooth and gum treatments, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to learn these skills is via hands-on instructing in the classroom, and becoming comfortable enough with the practical experience to soothe frightened patients.
As in nearly every profession, you are going to be a part of a team. It is very important to learn how to work with patients, along with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office personnel. A training program which enables you to work in a team environment will help you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very diverse field, and the type of tasks can vary drastically from one location to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a remote area is quite different from being part of a major, corporate dental office in a large city. In addition there are several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. In case you are interested in a specific career path, make sure that the you finally choose offers it, or is prepared to enable you to obtain a job in your planned concentration once you complete your training.
Although it is unnecessary in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies you to do more advanced work. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a possible employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some valuable information and are ready to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Oldsmar, FL listed and you will be on the path to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013