If you’re thinking of changing careers, and are seeking an exciting and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded monetarily, you probably need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in Palmyra, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary rates upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a relatively swift certification program, you will be able to change professions fairly quickly.
What should you look for when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Palmyra, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Be sure to look for a program which provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to know everything from how to mix an appropriate cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certification program. This should allow you to understand the basics of the job, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Having said that, remember that not all employers require you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assisting program in Palmyra, MO will offer a chance to experience what the work is actually like, via internships, externships or practical training. This offers several advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, as opposed to something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical knowledge in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, but it is a completely different thing to actually x-ray a real person! Finally, possessing real world experience enables you to be way more valuable to prospective employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it is what you wish to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Palmyra, MO
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
- A.A.S. Emergency Medical Services
- Emergency Medical Services B.S.
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
Regis is a leading Catholic university in greater Boston with undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students in the arts, sciences and health professions devoted to engage, serve and advance in a global community. Founded in 1927, and as a leader in education, Regis is dedicated to offering programs with a holistic view of health care that are designed for the future of the field.
No job is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to learn all about the current dental procedures and to have finished your training with top grades. Nearly 75 percent of all men and women in the US experience some level of dental fear or phobia. To work in this line of work, you should have the expertise to know how to manage people who may be terrified of tooth and gum treatments, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to learn these skills is through hands-on instructing in the classroom, and feeling secure enough with the practical experience to calm worried patients.
As with nearly every profession, you will be a part of an office team. It is essential to learn how to communicate with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office personnel. A training program which enables you to learn in a team setting will help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very extensive field, and the variety of work differs drastically from one location to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a remote area can be quite different from being part of a large, corporate dentist office in a big city. In addition there are several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. Should you be considering a specific career path, make sure the program you finally choose offers it, or is prepared to help you secure a job in your preferred concentration once you graduate.
Even though it is not required in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam enables one to perform more advanced tasks. This naturally makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some helpful information and are ready to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Palmyra, MO displayed and you will be on your way to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013