If you’re thinking of changing careers, and are seeking an exciting and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded monetarily, you probably need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in Palmyra, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary rates upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a relatively swift certification program, you will be able to change professions fairly quickly.
What should you look for when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Palmyra, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Be sure to look for a program which provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to know everything from how to mix an appropriate cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certification program. This should allow you to understand the basics of the job, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Having said that, remember that not all employers require you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assisting program in Palmyra, MO will offer a chance to experience what the work is actually like, via internships, externships or practical training. This offers several advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, as opposed to something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical knowledge in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, but it is a completely different thing to actually x-ray a real person! Finally, possessing real world experience enables you to be way more valuable to prospective employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it is what you wish to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Palmyra, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
No job is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to learn all about the current dental procedures and to have finished your training with top grades. Nearly 75 percent of all men and women in the US experience some level of dental fear or phobia. To work in this line of work, you should have the expertise to know how to manage people who may be terrified of tooth and gum treatments, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to learn these skills is through hands-on instructing in the classroom, and feeling secure enough with the practical experience to calm worried patients.
As with nearly every profession, you will be a part of an office team. It is essential to learn how to communicate with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office personnel. A training program which enables you to learn in a team setting will help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very extensive field, and the variety of work differs drastically from one location to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a remote area can be quite different from being part of a large, corporate dentist office in a big city. In addition there are several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. Should you be considering a specific career path, make sure the program you finally choose offers it, or is prepared to help you secure a job in your preferred concentration once you graduate.
Even though it is not required in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam enables one to perform more advanced tasks. This naturally makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some helpful information and are ready to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Palmyra, MO displayed and you will be on your way to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013