If you’re contemplating changing occupations, and are in search of an exciting and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded monetarily, you probably should think about Dental Assistant Schools in Potosi, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary rates over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a pretty fast certification program, you will be able to change careers fairly quickly.
What should you consider when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Potosi, MO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure to look for a program that provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to have knowledge of everything from how to create a suitable cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certificate program. This should enable you to understand the fundamentals of the occupation, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Nonetheless, bear in mind that not all employers you to attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assistant school in Potosi, MO must offer an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, by way of internships, externships or clinical training. This presents multiple advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, as opposed to something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical knowledge in your chosen occupation. It can be one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, but a completely different thing to actually x-ray a real patient! Finally, possessing real world experience makes you way more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it is truly what you wish to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Potosi, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Hardly any occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to know about the most recent dental procedures and to have completed school with high grades. Up to 75 per cent of all men and women in the US experience some level of dental fear or phobia. To work in this profession, you need the skills to understand how to handle people who might be terrified of tooth and gum procedures, or maybe of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to learn these skills is via hands-on teaching in the classroom, and being secure enough with the practical knowledge to calm fearful patients.
As with almost every profession, you will be part of an office team. You will need to learn how to work with patients, along with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office workers. A training program which enables you to learn in a team situation will benefit you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very wide ranging field, and the type of tasks ranges greatly from one location to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a small town could be very different from being part of a large, corporate dentist clinic in a big city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. If you are interested in a specific career path, be sure that the you finally choose offers it, or is going to enable you to obtain a job in your planned concentration once you complete your training.
Even though it is not necessary in most States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might give you an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a number of States, passing this exam qualifies you to do more advanced jobs. This certainly makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some handy information and are ready to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Potosi, MO listed and you will be on the path to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013