If perhaps you’re considering changing careers, and are seeking an exciting and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded fiscally, perhaps you should consider Dental Assistant Schools in St. Clair, PA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary rates in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a somewhat fast certification program, it is possible to change professions very quickly.
What should you consider when researching Dental Assistant Schools near St. Clair, PA?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure that you try to find a program that provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, it is very important to be familiar with everything from how to make a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certification program. This should allow you to have an understanding of the fundamentals of the industry, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. However, bear in mind that not all employers that you attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assistant school in St. Clair, PA must provide the opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or practical training. This provides multiple benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, instead of just something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll gather some practical experience in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, however it is a completely different thing to actually help x-ray a real patient! Finally, possessing real life experience makes you way more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is what you wish to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in St. Clair, PA
- Ready to Start Your Career? Get More Info From Fortis Today.
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Specialized Business
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
Virtually no job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to know all about the most recent dental procedures and to have completed your training with perfect grades. Nearly 75 percent of adults in the United States suffer from some amount of dental fear or phobia. To work in this profession, you need the expertise to be able to deal with people who may be frightened of tooth and gum treatments, as well as of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to master these skills is via hands-on training in the classroom, and being secure enough with the practical experience to relax frightened patients.
As with virtually any vocation, you will be part of an office team. It is essential to learn how to interact with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office staff. A training program that helps you to work in a team setting will benefit you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very extensive field, and the nature of the work differs significantly from one location to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a rural area may be very different from being an employee of a major, corporate dental office in a big city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. Should you be interested in a specific career path, be sure that the you select offers it, or is going to assist you to secure a job in your desired concentration after you graduate.
Even though it is not required in numerous States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might give you an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies one to carry out more complex jobs. This clearly makes you more valuable to a possible employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some handy information and are ready to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near St. Clair, PA listed and you will be on the path to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013