If you’re contemplating changing occupations, and are seeking a challenging and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded monetarily, maybe you should look into Dental Assistant Schools in St. John, MO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a somewhat fast certification program, it is possible to change occupations quickly.
What should you look for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near St. John, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Be sure to look for a program which offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will have to have knowledge of everything from how to make an appropriate cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills that you ought to not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certification program. This should allow you to grasp the fundamentals of the industry, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. However, remember not all employers that you attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A top dental assisting program in St. John, MO must provide an opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, via internships, externships or laboratory training. This offers a number of benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, and not just something you intend to study. Secondly, you’ll get some practical education in your chosen occupation. It is one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, yet an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray a real patient! Finally, possessing real life experience makes you far more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is truly what you wish to do. The more practical experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in St. John, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
No occupation is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to learn about the modern dental procedures and to have finished school with top grades. As many as 75 per cent of men and women in the United States encounter some degree of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this industry, you need the skills to be able to manage patients who are scared of tooth and gum treatments, or maybe of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to learn these skills is through hands-on teaching in the classroom, and feeling secure enough with the practical experience to calm worried patients.
As in virtually any industry, you are going to be a part of an office team. It is essential to learn how to communicate with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office staff. A training program which enables you to learn in a team environment will help you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a really extensive field, and the nature of the work ranges significantly from one office to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a rural area is very different from being an employee of a large, corporate dentist office in a large city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. Should you be considering a specific career path, make certain that the program you ultimately choose offers it, or is prepared to enable you to obtain a position in your planned concentration once you complete your training.
Even though it is not required in most States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it may give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables you to do more complex tasks. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some helpful information and are prepared to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near St. John, MO displayed and you will be on your way to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013