If you’re thinking of switching careers, and are looking for a fantastic and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded monetarily, perhaps you should think about Dental Assistant Schools in St. Marys, WV. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a typically swift certification program, you will be able to change careers in a short time.
What should you consider when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near St. Marys, WV?
Focus on Science and Theory
You will want to try to find a program which offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will need to know everything from how to mix a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certification program. This will enable you to understand the basics of the job, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Having said that, keep in mind that not all employers you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A top dental assisting school in St. Marys, WV should offer an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, through internships, externships or clinical training. This presents multiple benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, as opposed to something you intend to study. Secondly, you’ll get some practical education in your chosen career. It is one thing to understand the science of developing x-rays, yet a completely different thing to actually x-ray an actual patient! Finally, having real-world experience enables you to be far more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it is truly what you want to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in St. Marys, WV
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
No occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of about the current dental procedures and to have completed your training with top grades. Up to 75 percent of adults in the United States experience some degree of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this profession, you will need the expertise to know how to manage patients who may be afraid of tooth and gum procedures, as well as of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to learn these skills is with hands-on training in the classroom, and becoming secure enough with the experience to relax fearful patients.
As with almost every occupation, you are going to be part of an office team. It is important to learn how to work with patients, along with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office workers. A training program that enables you to learn in a team setting will benefit you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very diverse field, and the variety of tasks varies greatly from one office to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a remote area is very different from being an employee of a big, corporate dentist office in a big city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. Should you be considering a specific career path, make sure that the program you ultimately choose offers it, or is prepared to assist you to obtain a position in your planned concentration once you complete your training.
Although it is not necessary in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies one to do more complex work. This naturally makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some useful information and are prepared to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search field towards the top of this page and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near St. Marys, WV displayed and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Dental Assistant Schools in St. Marys, WV reviewed by Arianna DANIELS on May 6.
Thank You for sharing such a useful website. I was able to get more info about all of the schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’ve now started my training and can’t wait to become a Dental Assistant.
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013