If you’re thinking about switching careers, and are trying to find a challenging and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded fiscally, perhaps you need to think about Dental Assistant Schools in Swartz Creek, MI. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a relatively fast certification program, you could change occupations quickly.
What should you lookout for when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Swartz Creek, MI?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure that you try to find a program which offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will need to have knowledge of everything from how to create a proper cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills that you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certificate program. This should allow you to understand the essentials of the industry, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Nevertheless, bear in mind that not all employers that you attend an accredited program.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assisting program in Swartz Creek, MI should offer you an opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or laboratory training. This offers several advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, rather than just something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical knowledge in your chosen vocation. It is one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, but it is an entirely different thing to actually x-ray an actual person! Finally, having real-world experience makes you substantially more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it is what you wish to do. The more experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Swartz Creek, MI
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
Dorsey has been a trusted career training school in Michigan for over 80 years!
We offer training programs designed to prepare our students for careers in fields such as healthcare, beauty, culinary, and skilled trades
- Dental Assistant
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Career Quest Learning Centers offers programs in business, information technology, and health care that are designed to get you into your new career fast.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Administration (AAS)
Virtually no occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to understand about the latest dental procedures and to have finished your training with top grades. As many as 75 percent of men and women in the US are affected by some level of dental fear or phobia. To work in this line of work, you need the ability to be able to manage patients who might be fearful of tooth and periodontal treatments, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to learn these skills is with hands-on training in the classroom, and feeling confident enough with the knowledge to soothe worried patients.
As with nearly every job, you are part of a team. You need to learn how to work with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office workers. A training program that enables you to work in a team situation will help you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a really wide ranging field, and the variety of work ranges tremendously from one location to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a small town is quite different from being a part of a big, corporate dental clinic in a major city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. In case you are considering a specific career path, make sure that the program you ultimately choose offers it, or is prepared to assist you to secure a position in your planned concentration after you complete your training.
Although it is not necessary in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a number of States, passing this exam enables you to do more complex jobs. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some helpful information and are ready to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Swartz Creek, MI listed and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013