If you’re contemplating switching occupations, and are in search of an exciting and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded fiscally, maybe you should consider Dental Assistant Schools in Traverse City, MI. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels exceeding $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a rather swift certification program, you will be able to change occupations fairly quickly.
What should you consider when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Traverse City, MI?
Concentration on Science and Theory
You will want to search for a program that provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to have knowledge of everything from how to make an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certificate program. This will enable you to understand the basics of the occupation, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. However, bear in mind that not all employers require you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assistant program in Traverse City, MI must provide you with an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, via internships, externships or laboratory training. This provides several advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, and not just something you want to study. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical knowledge in your chosen career. It can be one thing to understand the science of developing x-rays, but it is a totally different thing to actually x-ray a real person! Thirdly, possessing real-world experience makes you substantially more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it is really what you wish to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Traverse City, MI
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
Career Quest Learning Centers offers programs in business, information technology, and health care that are designed to get you into your new career fast.
- Medical Assistant
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Dorsey has been a trusted career training school in Michigan for over 80 years!
We offer training programs designed to prepare our students for careers in fields such as healthcare, beauty, culinary, and skilled trades
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
No occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of all about the most recent dental procedures and to have finished school with top grades. Approximately 75 percent of adults in the United States encounter some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this industry, you should have the ability to know how to deal with patients who might be scared of tooth and periodontal procedures, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to learn these skills is via hands-on teaching in the classroom, and feeling comfortable enough with the experience to soothe fearful patients.
As with virtually any industry, you will be a part of a team. It is essential to learn how to work with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office personnel. A training program that enables you to work in a team setting will benefit you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very diverse field, and the variety of work will vary significantly from one office to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a remote area is very different from being a part of a big, corporate dental office in a large city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. If you happen to be considering a specific career path, make sure that the program you finally choose offers it, or is prepared to enable you to secure a position in your desired concentration once you complete your training.
Even though it is not required in numerous States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a number of States, passing this exam qualifies one to carry out more complex work. This clearly makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some useful information and are ready to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Traverse City, MI shown and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013