Maybe you’re contemplating changing occupations, and are seeking an excellent and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded financially, maybe you should think about Dental Assistant Schools in Union, MO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a comparatively fast certification program, you could change occupations in a short time.
What should you look for when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Union, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
You will want to look for a program which provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to know everything from how to mix a proper cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certification program. This will enable you to understand the fundamentals of the occupation, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Nevertheless, remember that not all employers will require you to attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assisting school in Union, MO will provide a chance to experience what the work is really like, through internships, externships or laboratory training. This offers many benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, and not just something you intend to learn about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical knowledge in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, but a totally different thing to actually help x-ray a real person! Thirdly, possessing real life experience enables you to be far more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is really what you wish to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Union, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Virtually no occupation is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the most recent dental procedures and to have finished school with top grades. Nearly 75 per cent of all adults in the US experience some degree of dental fear or phobia. To work in this field, you should have the ability to understand how to deal with individuals who might be scared of tooth and gum procedures, or even of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is with hands-on instructing in the classroom, and becoming comfortable enough with the practical knowledge to soothe nervous patients.
As in almost every occupation, you are going to be part of an office team. It is very important to learn how to communicate with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office staff. A training program that enables you to work in a team environment will benefit you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a wonderfully extensive field, and the variety of work differs tremendously from one location to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a rural area is very different from being an employee of a major, corporate dental clinic in a large city. There are also several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. If you are thinking about a specific career path, make certain that the you ultimately choose offers it, or is going to enable you to secure a position in your desired concentration after you complete your training.
Although it is not required in numerous States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it may give you an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam enables you to carry out more advanced jobs. This certainly makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some handy information and are ready to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Union, MO displayed and you will be on your way to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013