If you’re thinking of switching professions, and are seeking a fantastic and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded monetarily, perhaps you should consider Dental Assistant Schools in Wichita, KS. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates exceeding $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a relatively quick certification program, you can change careers fairly quickly.
What should you lookout for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Wichita, KS?
Focus on Science and Theory
Be sure to try to find a program which provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will have to have knowledge of everything from how to mix an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills that you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certification program. This should allow you to grasp the essentials of the industry, while preparing you to understand on-site job skills. Nevertheless, keep in mind that not all employers require that you attend an accredited program.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assistant school in Wichita, KS will provide an opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or laboratory training. This presents a few advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, instead of just something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical education in your chosen vocation. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray an actual patient! Thirdly, having real life experience makes you far more valuable to employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it is what you want to do. The more working experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Wichita, KS
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
Hardly any job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of all about the most recent dental procedures and to have completed your training with high grades. Up to 75 per cent of all adults in the US have some amount of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this line of work, you must have the skills to know how to deal with patients who are fearful of tooth and periodontal treatments, or even of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to learn these skills is via hands-on instruction in the classroom, and feeling comfortable enough with the practical knowledge to soothe fearful patients.
As in nearly every industry, you are a part of an office team. It is essential to learn how to work with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office workers. A training program that enables you to work in a team situation will help you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a wonderfully diversified field, and the variety of tasks may differ greatly from one office to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a rural area could be very different from being a part of a major, corporate dentist clinic in a major city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. Should you be focused on a specific career path, make certain that the you ultimately choose offers it, or is going to help you secure a position in your preferred concentration once you graduate.
Although it is unnecessary in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might provide you with an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam qualifies one to carry out more complex jobs. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some valuable information and are prepared to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search field near the top of this page and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Wichita, KS displayed and you will be on your way to a tremendous future!
Dental Assistant Schools in Wichita, KS reviewed by Jasmine FOX on May 5.
Thank You for sharing such a useful site. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become a Dental Assistant.
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013