If you’re thinking about changing careers, and are looking for a fantastic and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded fiscally, perhaps you should consider Dental Assistant Schools in Wilmerding, PA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a typically fast certification program, you could change careers in a short time.
What should you look for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Wilmerding, PA?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure that you try to find a program which offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to know everything from how to make an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills that you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certificate program. This should allow you to grasp the fundamentals of the occupation, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. However, remember not all employers will require that you attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assistant program in Wilmerding, PA must provide an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, by way of internships, externships or clinical training. This offers multiple benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, instead of just something you want to study. Secondly, you’ll get some practical education in your chosen career. It is one thing to understand the science of developing x-rays, but an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray a real patient! Thirdly, having real world experience makes you much more valuable to prospective employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it is what you want to do. The more experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Wilmerding, PA
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Specialized Business
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
MPH@UNC is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
Hardly any job is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of about the modern dental procedures and to have completed school with high grades. Approximately 75 percent of adults in the US suffer from some degree of dental fear or phobia. To work in this field, you should have the ability to be able to manage individuals who are frightened of tooth and periodontal procedures, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is with hands-on instruction in the classroom, and getting confident enough with the practical knowledge to soothe fearful patients.
As with almost every career, you are going to be a part of a team. It is essential to learn how to interact with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office workers. A training program that enables you to learn in a team situation will benefit you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a really extensive field, and the nature of the tasks will vary greatly from one location to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a small town could be very different from being an employee of a large, corporate dentist clinic in a major city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. If you are interested in a specific career path, make sure that the school you choose offers it, or is able to help you secure a job in your desired concentration after you graduate.
Even though it is not necessary in many States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a number of States, passing this exam qualifies you to perform more complex tasks. This obviously makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some useful information and are ready to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Wilmerding, PA displayed and you will be on the path to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013