Maybe you’re thinking of switching professions, and are seeking a challenging and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded monetarily, maybe you should look into Dental Assistant Schools in Ames, IA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a comparatively swift certification program, you could change careers fairly quickly.
What should you look for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Ames, IA?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure to try to find a program which offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will need to have knowledge of everything from how to mix a suitable cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to grasp the basics of the occupation, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. However, remember that not all employers will require you to attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assistant school in Ames, IA should provide you with the opportunity to experience what the work is really like, through internships, externships or practical training. This presents several advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, as opposed to something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical education in your chosen profession. It can be one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, but an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray a real patient! Thirdly, possessing real world experience makes you considerably more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it really is what you want to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Ames, IA
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Medical Assistant
No job is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to understand about the current dental procedures and to have completed your training with perfect grades. As many as 75 percent of all adults in the United States encounter some degree of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this profession, you will need the skills to know how to handle people who are afraid of tooth and gum procedures, or even of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to master these skills is via hands-on teaching in the classroom, and getting confident enough with the practical experience to relax worried patients.
As in nearly every occupation, you are going to be a part of a team. You will need to learn how to interact with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office staff. A training program which enables you to learn in a team environment will benefit you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a wonderfully diverse field, and the nature of the work varies tremendously from one location to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a rural area is quite different from being a part of a big, corporate dentist office in a large city. There are also a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. Should you be focused on a specific career path, be sure that the program you choose offers it, or is going to assist you to obtain a position in your desired concentration after you graduate.
Although it is not required in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables one to carry out more complex jobs. This certainly makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some helpful information and are ready to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search box at the top of this page and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Ames, IA displayed and you will be on your way to a prosperous future!
Dental Assistant Schools in Ames, IA reviewed by Brianna MILLS on April 6.
Thank You for sharing such an informative site. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for my situation. I’ve now started my training and can’t wait to become a Dental Assistant.
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013