If perhaps you’re considering switching careers, and are looking for an excellent and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded financially, maybe you need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in Ashland, PA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a rather swift certification program, it is possible to change careers very quickly.
What should you consider when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Ashland, PA?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure that you look for a program that offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to be familiar with everything from how to make a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certification program. This will allow you to have an understanding of the essentials of the industry, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. However, remember that not all employers you to attend an accredited program.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assisting school in Ashland, PA should provide you with a chance to experience what the work is actually like, via internships, externships or laboratory training. This presents many benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, as opposed to something you want to learn about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical education in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, yet an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray a real person! Thirdly, having real world experience enables you to be considerably more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it is truly what you want to do. The more working experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Ashland, PA
- Ready to Start Your Career? Get More Info From Fortis Today.
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Specialized Business
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
Virtually no occupation is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to know about the current dental procedures and to have finished your training with top grades. Nearly 75 per cent of men and women in the United States suffer from some degree of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this field, you will need the skills to understand how to manage people who may be terrified of tooth and periodontal treatments, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is through hands-on training in the classroom, and getting confident enough with the experience to soothe fearful patients.
As with just about any vocation, you are going to be part of a team. You need to learn how to communicate with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office staff. A training program which enables you to work in a team setting can help you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a wonderfully extensive field, and the nature of the work will vary significantly from one location to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a rural area could be very different from being an employee of a big, corporate dentist clinic in a large city. There are also several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. If you are interested in a specific career path, make certain that the program you choose offers it, or is prepared to enable you to obtain a job in your planned concentration once you graduate.
Even though it is unnecessary in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it may provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables one to do more advanced work. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a possible employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some valuable information and are ready to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Ashland, PA listed and you will be on your way to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013