If you’re thinking of changing professions, and are in search of a fascinating and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded monetarily, you probably need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in Aurora, IL. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant jobs over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary rates in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a pretty quick certification program, it is possible to change occupations fairly quickly.
What should you look for when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Aurora, IL?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure to search for a program that provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to be familiar with everything from how to make a proper cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to grasp the basics of the occupation, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Having said that, bear in mind that not all employers require that you attend an accredited program.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A top dental assistant program in Aurora, IL should offer you an opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, via internships, externships or laboratory training. This provides a number of advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, and not just something you want to study. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical experience in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, however it is an entirely different thing to actually x-ray a real patient! Thirdly, possessing real-world experience enables you to be considerably more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it is really what you wish to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Aurora, IL
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Medical Assistant
Virtually no job is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the current dental procedures and to have finished your training with perfect grades. Approximately 75 per cent of men and women in the US experience some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this field, you must have the expertise to know how to deal with individuals who are fearful of tooth and gum treatments, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to learn these skills is via hands-on teaching in the classroom, and being secure enough with the experience to calm worried patients.
As with virtually any career, you will be a part of an office team. It is essential to learn how to work with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office staff. A training program that helps you to learn in a team environment can help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very diversified field, and the variety of tasks will vary considerably from one location to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a small town can be quite different from being an employee of a major, corporate dentist office in a large city. There are also many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. In case you are considering a specific career path, make certain that the program you ultimately choose offers it, or is going to assist you to obtain a job in your planned concentration once you graduate.
Although it is not required in many States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it may give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables you to carry out more advanced tasks. This naturally makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some helpful information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search field near the top of this page and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Aurora, IL shown and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Dental Assistant Schools in Aurora, IL reviewed by Gianna WATKINS on May 5.
Thank You for creating such a great website. I was able to get more info about all of the schools in my area and found one that worked for my situation. I’ve now started my training and can’t wait to become a Dental Assistant.
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013