If you’re thinking of switching careers, and are looking for an excellent and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded fiscally, maybe you should consider Dental Assistant Schools in Berwyn, IL. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary levels over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a rather swift certification program, you can change professions in a short time.
What should you look for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Berwyn, IL?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure you search for a program that provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to have knowledge of everything from how to mix an appropriate cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills that you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to understand the essentials of the industry, while preparing you to understand on-site job skills. Nevertheless, bear in mind that not all employers will require you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assistant program in Berwyn, IL should provide you with a chance to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or clinical training. This offers many benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, and not just something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical knowledge in your chosen vocation. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, however it is a completely different thing to actually help x-ray an actual patient! Finally, having real-world experience makes you much more valuable to prospective employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it is what you want to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Berwyn, IL
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Medical Assistant
Virtually no job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to learn about the latest dental procedures and to have finished school with top grades. Up to 75 per cent of men and women in the US are affected by some degree of dental fear or phobia. To work in this line of work, you must have the skills to be able to manage individuals who are scared of tooth and gum procedures, or even of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to master these skills is via hands-on training in the classroom, and becoming secure enough with the practical experience to calm frightened patients.
As in almost every occupation, you will be part of a team. It is very important to learn how to work with patients, along with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office personnel. A training program that enables you to work in a team environment will benefit you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a wonderfully wide ranging field, and the type of tasks varies tremendously from one location to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a small town is quite different from being a part of a large, corporate dentist office in a major city. In addition there are several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. If you happen to be focused on a specific career path, make certain that the program you finally choose offers it, or is going to help you obtain a job in your preferred concentration after you graduate.
Although it is unnecessary in many States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it may give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables you to perform more complex jobs. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a possible employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some handy information and are prepared to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search field at the top of this page and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Berwyn, IL listed and you will be on the path to a prosperous future!
Dental Assistant Schools in Berwyn, IL reviewed by London SIMS on May 30.
Thank You for sharing such a great website. I was able to get more info about all of the schools in my area and found one that worked for my situation. I’ve now started my training and can’t wait to become a Dental Assistant.
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013