If perhaps you’re thinking of changing careers, and are looking for an excellent and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded monetarily, perhaps you should look into Dental Assistant Schools in Bonne Terre, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a somewhat quick certification program, you could change careers in a short time.
What should you lookout for when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Bonne Terre, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Be sure to look for a program that provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will have to know everything from how to create a suitable cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certification program. This will enable you to understand the fundamentals of the occupation, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Having said that, understand that not all employers that you attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A top dental assisting school in Bonne Terre, MO will offer you an opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, via internships, externships or laboratory training. This provides a number of benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, rather than just something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll gather some practical education in your chosen vocation. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but it is an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray a real patient! Thirdly, having real-world experience enables you to be considerably more valuable to employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is what you wish to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Bonne Terre, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
No job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the current dental procedures and to have completed your training with high grades. As many as 75 per cent of all men and women in the United States encounter some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this field, you need the skills to know how to handle individuals who are frightened of tooth and periodontal procedures, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to master these skills is through hands-on instructing in the classroom, and becoming comfortable enough with the knowledge to soothe fearful patients.
As with nearly every industry, you are part of a team. It is essential to learn how to work with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office staff. A training program that enables you to learn in a team situation will benefit you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very wide ranging field, and the variety of work may differ tremendously from one location to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a small town may be very different from being a dental assistant at a major, corporate dental office in a big city. There are also many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. If you are considering a specific career path, make sure the school you choose offers it, or is prepared to assist you to obtain a position in your desired concentration once you complete your training.
Although it is not necessary in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might provide you with an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a number of States, passing this exam enables one to do more complex jobs. This obviously makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some useful information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Bonne Terre, MO shown and you will be on your way to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013