Maybe you’re thinking about switching careers, and are seeking a fantastic and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded financially, maybe you need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in Boonsboro, MD. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a pretty fast certification program, you could change professions very quickly.
What should you lookout for when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Boonsboro, MD?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure that you search for a program which provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to know everything from how to create an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certificate program. This should enable you to grasp the essentials of the job, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Having said that, remember that not all employers will require you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assistant program in Boonsboro, MD must offer you a chance to experience what the work is really like, by way of internships, externships or clinical training. This presents a few benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, and not just something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical education in your chosen career. It can be one thing to understand the science of developing x-rays, yet a completely different thing to actually x-ray a real person! Finally, possessing real life experience makes you considerably more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it is truly what you wish to do. The more experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Boonsboro, MD
- Fortis offers a Medical Assisting program designed to propel you forward
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Most campuses offer hands-on instruction for a variety of healthcare fields
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
Advance your career at Dawn Career Institute. Gain the specialized knowledge and skills to help prepare you for a new career quickly and conveniently.
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
All-State Career - Healthcare Division is committed to providing quality training for students just like you. Financial aid is available for students who qualify. * Programs vary by location * Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Expanded Functions Dental Assisting
- Medical Assisting
Virtually no occupation is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to learn about the most recent dental procedures and to have finished school with perfect grades. Approximately 75 percent of adults in the US experience some level of dental fear or phobia. To work in this industry, you should have the expertise to know how to manage patients who are frightened of tooth and gum procedures, as well as of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to learn these skills is with hands-on training in the classroom, and becoming confident enough with the practical knowledge to relax fearful patients.
As with almost every career, you are going to be part of a team. You need to learn how to work with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office staff. A training program that helps you to work in a team environment will benefit you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a really diverse field, and the variety of tasks may differ significantly from one office to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a small town can be quite different from being a part of a major, corporate dental clinic in a large city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. In case you are interested in a specific career path, make sure the school you ultimately choose offers it, or is going to assist you to secure a job in your preferred concentration after you graduate.
Even though it is not required in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam qualifies one to do more advanced work. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some handy information and are prepared to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Boonsboro, MD listed and you will be on the path to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013