If you’re thinking of switching occupations, and are trying to find a fantastic and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded fiscally, perhaps you should look into Dental Assistant Schools in Clinton, MO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a comparatively swift certification program, you could change occupations quickly.
What should you consider when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Clinton, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure you look for a program which offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will need to know everything from how to create an appropriate cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certification program. This will enable you to have an understanding of the fundamentals of the industry, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Nonetheless, remember that not all employers require you to attend an accredited program.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assisting program in Clinton, MO should provide you with the opportunity to experience what the work is really like, by way of internships, externships or practical training. This provides many benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, and not just something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical experience in your chosen profession. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but it is a totally different thing to actually x-ray an actual person! Thirdly, having real-world experience makes you substantially more valuable to prospective employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it is really what you want to do. The more practical experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Clinton, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Hardly any occupation is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of about the latest dental procedures and to have completed your training with top grades. Approximately 75 percent of all men and women in the US are affected by some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this industry, you must have the skills to know how to deal with individuals who are terrified of tooth and gum procedures, as well as of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to master these skills is through hands-on training in the classroom, and being secure enough with the practical experience to soothe frightened patients.
As with just about any occupation, you are part of a team. It is essential to learn how to interact with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office workers. A training program that enables you to work in a team situation can help you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a wonderfully wide ranging field, and the nature of the work varies tremendously from one location to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a small town may be very different from being a dental assistant at a large, corporate dental clinic in a big city. There are also a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. In case you are interested in a specific career path, make sure the program you choose offers it, or is prepared to enable you to secure a job in your planned concentration once you complete your training.
Even though it is unnecessary in numerous States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam qualifies one to perform more complex tasks. This certainly makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some useful information and are prepared to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Clinton, MO shown and you will be on your way to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013