If you’re thinking about switching professions, and are in search of an exciting and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded fiscally, perhaps you should consider Dental Assistant Schools in Derry, PA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary levels over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a somewhat swift certification program, you could change occupations fairly quickly.
What should you look for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Derry, PA?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure that you search for a program which offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, it is very important to have knowledge of everything from how to make an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certificate program. This should allow you to have an understanding of the fundamentals of the job, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Nevertheless, understand that not all employers require you to attend an accredited program.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assistant school in Derry, PA must offer you an opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or laboratory training. This presents multiple benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, instead of just something you want to study. Secondly, you’ll gain some practical knowledge in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, however it is an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray a real patient! Finally, possessing real world experience enables you to be substantially more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it is really what you want to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Derry, PA
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Expanded Functions Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assisting (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- Dental Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
The Jolie Academies can give you the skills, professional instruction, and hands-on training and you'll need to launch your career the rewarding cosmetology field.
- Medical Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
We Are Focused On Your Success!
At Berks Technical Institute (BTI), your success is our priority. We are dedicated to helping you gain the knowledge, skills, and confidence to succeed in a career you love. Our training programs are career-focused and taught by industry-experienced instructors in learning labs that can empower each of our students as they enter the job market.
- Dental Assisting - Associate in Specialized Technology
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Specialized Business
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Medical Assisting (Hybrid)
Take the fast track to your future at Elmira Business Institute!
Learn how you can get the training you need to begin a rewarding career in a field of high-demand. Complete and submit the form and one of our Admissions Representatives will be in touch soon to tell you more.
- Medical Assisting
Hardly any occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to know about the current dental procedures and to have completed your training with good grades. Up to 75 percent of men and women in the US have some degree of dental fear or phobia. To work in this line of work, you must have the skills to know how to deal with people who are fearful of tooth and periodontal procedures, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to master these skills is through hands-on instructing in the classroom, and getting confident enough with the experience to calm fearful patients.
As with virtually any career, you will be a part of a team. It is essential to learn how to interact with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office personnel. A training program which enables you to learn in a team setting will benefit you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very diverse field, and the variety of work will vary greatly from one office to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a small town is quite different from being an employee of a large, corporate dentist office in a major city. There are also many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. Should you be focused on a specific career path, make certain that the you finally choose offers it, or is going to assist you to obtain a job in your planned concentration once you complete your training.
Even though it is unnecessary in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables one to carry out more complex work. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some valuable information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Derry, PA listed and you will be on the path to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013