If you’re contemplating changing careers, and are seeking a challenging and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded financially, maybe you should look into Dental Assistant Schools in Des Peres, MO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a relatively fast certification program, you could change professions very quickly.
What should you consider when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Des Peres, MO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure that you look for a program that offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to be familiar with everything from how to create a suitable cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certification program. This will enable you to have an understanding of the essentials of the job, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Having said that, understand that not all employers will require you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assisting program in Des Peres, MO will provide the opportunity to experience what the work is really like, via internships, externships or laboratory training. This provides multiple advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, instead of just something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical experience in your chosen vocation. It is one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, yet a completely different thing to actually help x-ray an actual person! Thirdly, having real life experience makes you far more valuable to prospective employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it is really what you wish to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Des Peres, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Virtually no job is purely technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the most recent dental procedures and to have completed school with high grades. As many as 75 percent of all men and women in the US are affected by some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this line of work, you must have the skills to understand how to manage individuals who may be terrified of tooth and gum treatments, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to master these skills is with hands-on training in the classroom, and getting secure enough with the practical knowledge to relax nervous patients.
As with virtually any industry, you will be a part of an office team. It is important to learn how to work with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office staff. A training program that helps you to work in a team environment will help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a really diverse field, and the type of work varies drastically from one location to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a remote area is quite different from being a dental assistant at a big, corporate dentist clinic in a large city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. Should you be thinking about a specific career path, make certain that the school you select offers it, or is going to enable you to secure a position in your planned concentration after you complete your training.
Although it is not required in numerous States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables one to carry out more advanced work. This naturally makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some valuable information and are prepared to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Des Peres, MO shown and you will be on the path to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013