If you’re thinking of changing careers, and are searching for an excellent and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded fiscally, perhaps you should consider Dental Assistant Schools in Eldon, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary rates over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a somewhat quick certification program, you could change occupations very quickly.
What should you look for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Eldon, MO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Be sure to search for a program that offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, it is very important to be familiar with everything from how to mix a suitable cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certificate program. This should allow you to grasp the basics of the occupation, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. However, remember not all employers will require you to attend an accredited program.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assistant school in Eldon, MO should offer a chance to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or practical training. This presents a number of benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, and not just something you intend to study. Secondly, you’ll gain some practical experience in your chosen profession. It is one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, yet a totally different thing to actually x-ray an actual person! Thirdly, having real life experience enables you to be substantially more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it is what you want to do. The more working experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Eldon, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Hardly any occupation is strictly technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of all about the modern dental procedures and to have finished school with good grades. Approximately 75 percent of all adults in the United States are affected by some amount of dental fear or phobia. To work in this profession, you must have the skills to know how to handle individuals who may be frightened of tooth and gum treatments, or maybe of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is through hands-on teaching in the classroom, and feeling comfortable enough with the practical knowledge to soothe nervous patients.
As with almost any job, you are a part of a team. It is essential to learn how to interact with patients, as well as with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office personnel. A training program which enables you to work in a team situation can help you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very wide ranging field, and the variety of tasks can vary considerably from one office to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a small town is quite different from being a dental assistant at a major, corporate dental clinic in a large city. In addition there are several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. In case you are considering a specific career path, be sure that the program you ultimately choose offers it, or is prepared to help you obtain a position in your planned concentration once you graduate.
Even though it is not required in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies you to carry out more complex jobs. This certainly makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some valuable information and are prepared to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Eldon, MO listed and you will be on your way to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013