If you’re considering switching careers, and are trying to find a challenging and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded financially, perhaps you need to think about Dental Assistant Schools in Ellensburg, WA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a somewhat fast certification program, you will be able to change professions quickly.
What should you look for when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Ellensburg, WA?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Be sure to look for a program that offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to have knowledge of everything from how to mix a proper cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certification program. This should enable you to grasp the fundamentals of the industry, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Nonetheless, remember that not all employers will require you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assistant program in Ellensburg, WA will offer a chance to experience what the work is really like, by way of internships, externships or clinical training. This offers a few advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, rather than just something you want to learn about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical knowledge in your chosen occupation. It is one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, but it is a totally different thing to actually help x-ray a real patient! Finally, having real life experience enables you to be far more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is truly what you want to do. The more practical experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Ellensburg, WA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
No job is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of all about the latest dental procedures and to have finished school with top grades. Up to 75 per cent of men and women in the United States are affected by some amount of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this industry, you will need the skills to know how to deal with people who are scared of tooth and gum treatments, as well as of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to learn these skills is via hands-on instructing in the classroom, and getting secure enough with the practical experience to relax fearful patients.
As in nearly every occupation, you are going to be part of a team. You will need to learn how to communicate with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office personnel. A training program which enables you to work in a team situation will benefit you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very wide ranging field, and the variety of work can vary greatly from one location to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a small town may be very different from being a dental assistant at a large, corporate dentist clinic in a large city. There are also a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. In case you are considering a specific career path, make sure the school you finally choose offers it, or is able to help you obtain a position in your desired concentration after you complete your training.
Even though it is not necessary in numerous States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it may give you an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables one to do more advanced jobs. This obviously makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some useful information and are prepared to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Ellensburg, WA displayed and you will be on the path to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013