If perhaps you’re thinking about switching occupations, and are seeking an exciting and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded monetarily, you probably need to think about Dental Assistant Schools in Fort Washington, PA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates exceeding $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a relatively quick certification program, it is possible to change occupations quickly.
What should you lookout for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Fort Washington, PA?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure you look for a program which provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, it is very important to be familiar with everything from how to make a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to grasp the fundamentals of the job, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. However, bear in mind that not all employers require that you attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assistant program in Fort Washington, PA must provide the opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, through internships, externships or clinical training. This offers a few benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, as opposed to something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical education in your chosen occupation. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, however it is a totally different thing to actually x-ray an actual person! Thirdly, having real-world experience enables you to be way more valuable to employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is truly what you want to do. The more experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Fort Washington, PA
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Specialized Business
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
MPH@UNC is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
No occupation is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of all about the modern dental procedures and to have completed school with high grades. As many as 75 per cent of all men and women in the US encounter some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this line of work, you should have the ability to know how to manage people who may be scared of tooth and gum procedures, or even of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to learn these skills is with hands-on instruction in the classroom, and feeling secure enough with the knowledge to soothe fearful patients.
As with nearly every vocation, you will be a part of a team. It is very important to learn how to work with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office staff. A training program that enables you to learn in a team setting will benefit you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very wide ranging field, and the variety of work will vary tremendously from one office to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a remote area is quite different from being part of a large, corporate dental clinic in a large city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. If you happen to be interested in a specific career path, make sure the you choose offers it, or is going to help you secure a job in your preferred concentration once you graduate.
Although it is not required in numerous States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a number of States, passing this exam qualifies you to do more advanced tasks. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some handy information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Fort Washington, PA displayed and you will be on your way to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013