Maybe you’re contemplating switching professions, and are trying to find a challenging and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded fiscally, perhaps you need to think about Dental Assistant Schools in Herculaneum, MO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a somewhat swift certification program, you could change occupations quickly.
What should you lookout for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Herculaneum, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure that you search for a program which offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to have knowledge of everything from how to mix a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you ought to not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to grasp the basics of the job, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. However, remember that not all employers require you to attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assistant program in Herculaneum, MO will provide an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, by way of internships, externships or practical training. This presents several advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, rather than just something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll gather some practical experience in your chosen profession. It is one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, but it is an entirely different thing to actually x-ray an actual person! Finally, possessing real world experience enables you to be way more valuable to prospective employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it is truly what you want to do. The more experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Herculaneum, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Hardly any job is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the current dental procedures and to have finished your training with good grades. Nearly 75 per cent of men and women in the United States experience some amount of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this industry, you will need the ability to know how to deal with patients who may be frightened of tooth and gum treatments, or even of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is through hands-on teaching in the classroom, and becoming secure enough with the practical knowledge to calm worried patients.
As with nearly every job, you are going to be part of a team. It is very important to learn how to interact with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office personnel. A training program which enables you to learn in a team situation will help you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very diverse field, and the nature of the tasks will vary significantly from one office to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a remote area could be very different from being part of a large, corporate dental office in a large city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. In case you are thinking about a specific career path, make certain that the program you ultimately choose offers it, or is going to enable you to obtain a position in your desired concentration after you graduate.
Although it is unnecessary in most States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might give you an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies one to perform more advanced tasks. This clearly makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some useful information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Herculaneum, MO listed and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013