Maybe you’re contemplating switching professions, and are trying to find a challenging and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded fiscally, perhaps you need to think about Dental Assistant Schools in Herculaneum, MO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a somewhat swift certification program, you could change occupations quickly.
What should you lookout for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Herculaneum, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure that you search for a program which offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to have knowledge of everything from how to mix a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you ought to not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to grasp the basics of the job, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. However, remember that not all employers require you to attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assistant program in Herculaneum, MO will provide an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, by way of internships, externships or practical training. This presents several advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, rather than just something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll gather some practical experience in your chosen profession. It is one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, but it is an entirely different thing to actually x-ray an actual person! Finally, possessing real world experience enables you to be way more valuable to prospective employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it is truly what you want to do. The more experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Herculaneum, MO
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
MPH@UNC is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- RNs, join one of GCU's CCNE-accredited bachelor's, master's or doctoral nursing programs.
- Offering a full spectrum of nursing programs to fit your education needs and career aspirations.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- A holistic, physical, emotional and spiritual approach to patient care is taught in the classroom.
- Curriculum that connects classroom theories to working scenarios through many modalities.
WTI's success and longevity is due to its commitment in providing its students with the latest information and technology. It does so by continually upgrading its curriculum, lab instruction and instrumentation, and by collaborating with professionals to keep apprised of industry developments.
Hardly any job is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the current dental procedures and to have finished your training with good grades. Nearly 75 per cent of men and women in the United States experience some amount of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this industry, you will need the ability to know how to deal with patients who may be frightened of tooth and gum treatments, or even of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is through hands-on teaching in the classroom, and becoming secure enough with the practical knowledge to calm worried patients.
As with nearly every job, you are going to be part of a team. It is very important to learn how to interact with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office personnel. A training program which enables you to learn in a team situation will help you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very diverse field, and the nature of the tasks will vary significantly from one office to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a remote area could be very different from being part of a large, corporate dental office in a large city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. In case you are thinking about a specific career path, make certain that the program you ultimately choose offers it, or is going to enable you to obtain a position in your desired concentration after you graduate.
Although it is unnecessary in most States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might give you an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies one to perform more advanced tasks. This clearly makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some useful information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Herculaneum, MO listed and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013