Maybe you’re thinking of switching professions, and are looking for an excellent and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded fiscally, perhaps you should look into Dental Assistant Schools in Huntington, IN. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary rates upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a rather swift certification program, you could change occupations very quickly.
What should you lookout for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Huntington, IN?
Focus on Science and Theory
You will want to search for a program which provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will have to know everything from how to mix an appropriate cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills that you ought to not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to grasp the basics of the job, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Nonetheless, remember not all employers that you attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assisting program in Huntington, IN should offer the opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or practical training. This offers many benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, rather than just something you intend to study. Secondly, you’ll gather some practical knowledge in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to understand the science of developing x-rays, but it is a totally different thing to actually help x-ray an actual person! Finally, having real life experience makes you substantially more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it really is what you wish to do. The more experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Huntington, IN
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
Harrison College prides itself on truly knowing our students -- their lives and families, obstacles and motivations and their dreams and goals. We also know their potential -- that's why for more than 100 years, our mission has been to provide a supportive environment, with the expectation that their success also benefits their families, friends and communities. That's the Harrison Difference.
- Medical Assisting Diploma
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- American InterContinental University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. To contact the Higher Learnin Commission please visit www.hlcommission.org
- Join GCU's Colangelo College of Business and start down the path to a successful business career.
- Bachelor's and master's degrees that help prepare students to be business leaders.
- Leading-edge degrees that address the demands of contemporary business environments.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- Committed to providing students a values-based education centered on Christian principles
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
Virtually no job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to understand about the most recent dental procedures and to have finished your training with top grades. Nearly 75 percent of adults in the United States suffer from some amount of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this profession, you will need the ability to understand how to handle individuals who may be afraid of tooth and gum procedures, or even of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to learn these skills is with hands-on teaching in the classroom, and becoming confident enough with the experience to soothe nervous patients.
As in nearly every industry, you will be part of a team. You will need to learn how to communicate with patients, along with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office staff. A training program that helps you to work in a team situation can help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very extensive field, and the type of work ranges considerably from one location to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a remote area is very different from being a dental assistant at a major, corporate dentist clinic in a big city. There are also many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. Should you be focused on a specific career path, make sure that the program you finally choose offers it, or is able to help you obtain a job in your desired concentration once you complete your training.
Even though it is not required in numerous States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies you to perform more advanced work. This obviously makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some valuable information and are ready to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Huntington, IN displayed and you will be on the path to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013