Maybe you’re considering changing occupations, and are looking for a fantastic and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded monetarily, maybe you should look into Dental Assistant Schools in Lathrop, MO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates exceeding $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a pretty quick certification program, you could change careers in a short time.
What should you lookout for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Lathrop, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
You will want to try to find a program that offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will have to know everything from how to mix a suitable cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills that you ought to not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certification program. This should enable you to grasp the basics of the job, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Having said that, remember that not all employers will require that you attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A top dental assistant school in Lathrop, MO will offer you an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, via internships, externships or clinical training. This provides a number of benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, as opposed to something you want to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical education in your chosen profession. It is one thing to understand the science of developing x-rays, but it is a completely different thing to actually help x-ray a real person! Thirdly, possessing real life experience makes you way more valuable to prospective employers. They will know that you are able to handle the tasks, and that it really is what you want to do. The more working experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Lathrop, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
No job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of about the modern dental procedures and to have finished your training with good grades. Nearly 75 per cent of all men and women in the US have some amount of dental fear or phobia. To work in this industry, you must have the skills to understand how to handle individuals who are afraid of tooth and gum treatments, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to learn these skills is via hands-on instruction in the classroom, and becoming confident enough with the experience to soothe worried patients.
As in almost any industry, you are going to be part of an office team. You need to learn how to interact with patients, as well as with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office workers. A training program that enables you to work in a team environment can help you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a wonderfully diverse field, and the variety of work ranges greatly from one location to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a small town can be quite different from being a part of a major, corporate dentist clinic in a large city. There are also several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. If you happen to be interested in a specific career path, make sure that the you finally choose offers it, or is able to enable you to obtain a job in your preferred concentration after you complete your training.
Even though it is unnecessary in most States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it may give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam enables one to carry out more advanced jobs. This clearly makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some helpful information and are ready to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Lathrop, MO displayed and you will be on the path to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013