Maybe you’re contemplating changing careers, and are searching for a fascinating and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded monetarily, you probably should consider Dental Assistant Schools in Lawson, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a typically fast certification program, you will be able to change professions fairly quickly.
What should you consider when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Lawson, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure that you search for a program which provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will have to be familiar with everything from how to make an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills that you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to understand the fundamentals of the occupation, while preparing you to understand on-site job skills. However, remember that not all employers you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assisting program in Lawson, MO will offer an opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, via internships, externships or practical training. This offers several advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, as opposed to something you want to learn about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical knowledge in your chosen career. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but a completely different thing to actually help x-ray an actual patient! Thirdly, having real life experience makes you considerably more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it is what you wish to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Lawson, MO
- A.A.S. Emergency Medical Services
- Emergency Medical Services B.S.
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
MPH@UNC is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer our degree and certificate programs in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support.
WTI's success and longevity is due to its commitment in providing its students with the latest information and technology. It does so by continually upgrading its curriculum, lab instruction and instrumentation, and by collaborating with professionals to keep apprised of industry developments.
Hardly any job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to learn about the most recent dental procedures and to have completed your training with high grades. Up to 75 per cent of adults in the United States are affected by some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this field, you will need the expertise to know how to manage patients who may be terrified of tooth and periodontal treatments, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to master these skills is through hands-on teaching in the classroom, and becoming secure enough with the practical experience to calm fearful patients.
As in almost any industry, you will be part of an office team. You will need to learn how to work with patients, along with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office staff. A training program which enables you to work in a team situation can help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a really extensive field, and the type of work ranges greatly from one office to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a small town is very different from being a dental assistant at a major, corporate dental clinic in a large city. There are also a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. In case you are considering a specific career path, make sure that the school you finally choose offers it, or is prepared to enable you to obtain a job in your planned concentration once you complete your training.
Although it is unnecessary in many States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam enables one to carry out more complex tasks. This certainly makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some helpful information and are prepared to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Lawson, MO listed and you will be on your way to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013