If perhaps you’re thinking about switching professions, and are in search of a fascinating and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded monetarily, maybe you need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in Lexington, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels exceeding $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a somewhat fast certification program, you will be able to change careers in a short time.
What should you look for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Lexington, MO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure to look for a program that offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to have knowledge of everything from how to mix a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certification program. This should enable you to have an understanding of the essentials of the job, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Nonetheless, understand that not all employers will require that you attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assistant program in Lexington, MO should offer you the opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or practical training. This offers many benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, as opposed to something you want to learn about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical knowledge in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, but it is a totally different thing to actually x-ray an actual person! Finally, possessing real world experience enables you to be way more valuable to employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it really is what you want to do. The more working experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Lexington, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Hardly any job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to have knowledge of about the current dental procedures and to have finished school with perfect grades. Nearly 75 per cent of all adults in the United States are affected by some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this profession, you need the expertise to know how to deal with people who may be scared of tooth and periodontal treatments, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is via hands-on instructing in the classroom, and feeling confident enough with the experience to calm nervous patients.
As in nearly every occupation, you are going to be part of a team. It is very important to learn how to communicate with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office personnel. A training program that enables you to work in a team situation will help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a really extensive field, and the nature of the work differs significantly from one location to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a rural area is very different from being a dental assistant at a large, corporate dentist clinic in a major city. There are also many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. In case you are thinking about a specific career path, make sure that the you finally choose offers it, or is prepared to enable you to secure a job in your planned concentration once you complete your training.
Although it is not necessary in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could provide you with an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam enables one to do more advanced work. This naturally makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some handy information and are ready to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Lexington, MO shown and you will be on your way to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013