If perhaps you’re thinking about switching occupations, and are in search of a fantastic and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded financially, maybe you need to consider Dental Assistant Schools in Normandy, MO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates in excess of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a rather fast certification program, you can change professions quickly.
What should you look for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Normandy, MO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
You will want to try to find a program that provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will have to know everything from how to make an appropriate cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills that you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certificate program. This will enable you to grasp the basics of the occupation, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. However, bear in mind that not all employers will require that you attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assisting program in Normandy, MO must provide you with the opportunity to experience what the work is actually like, through internships, externships or practical training. This offers many benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, as opposed to something you want to learn about. Secondly, you’ll gather some practical experience in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, yet an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray an actual person! Finally, possessing real-world experience makes you much more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it really is what you wish to do. The more experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Normandy, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Virtually no job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to know about the latest dental procedures and to have completed your training with good grades. Approximately 75 percent of adults in the United States are affected by some amount of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this line of work, you must have the expertise to understand how to deal with patients who may be afraid of tooth and gum treatments, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to learn these skills is with hands-on instructing in the classroom, and becoming secure enough with the knowledge to relax worried patients.
As in almost every job, you will be part of an office team. You will need to learn how to work with patients, along with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office staff. A training program which enables you to learn in a team setting will help you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a very extensive field, and the nature of the work can vary considerably from one location to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a remote area is very different from being a part of a large, corporate dental office in a large city. There are also many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. Should you be interested in a specific career path, make sure that the program you select offers it, or is prepared to help you obtain a position in your preferred concentration once you graduate.
Even though it is not required in numerous States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies you to do more advanced jobs. This certainly makes you more valuable to a possible employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some useful information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Normandy, MO shown and you will be on your way to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013