If perhaps you’re thinking about switching occupations, and are searching for a challenging and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded financially, maybe you should think about Dental Assistant Schools in Northumberland, PA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary levels exceeding $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a typically fast certification program, you will be able to change careers very quickly.
What should you consider when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Northumberland, PA?
Focus on Science and Theory
You will want to look for a program which provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to be familiar with everything from how to create a proper cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certification program. This will allow you to have an understanding of the fundamentals of the industry, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. However, understand that not all employers will require you to attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assistant school in Northumberland, PA should provide you with a chance to experience what the work is really like, by way of internships, externships or laboratory training. This offers several benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, and not just something you intend to learn about. Secondly, you’ll gain some practical experience in your chosen occupation. It can be one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, yet an entirely different thing to actually x-ray a real person! Thirdly, possessing real life experience enables you to be much more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is really what you wish to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Northumberland, PA
- Ready to Start Your Career? Get More Info From Fortis Today.
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Specialized Business
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
MPH@UNC is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
Hardly any occupation is purely technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the current dental procedures and to have finished your training with high grades. Nearly 75 percent of all men and women in the US are affected by some degree of dental fear or phobia. To work in this line of work, you will need the expertise to be able to handle patients who might be scared of tooth and gum treatments, or maybe of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to master these skills is via hands-on training in the classroom, and being comfortable enough with the practical knowledge to soothe worried patients.
As in nearly every profession, you are part of an office team. It is essential to learn how to communicate with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office personnel. A training program which enables you to learn in a team setting will help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assisting is a wonderfully wide ranging field, and the nature of the work can vary considerably from one office to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a small town is quite different from being a part of a large, corporate dentist clinic in a large city. There are also many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. If you happen to be focused on a specific career path, make sure that the school you select offers it, or is able to help you secure a position in your planned concentration after you complete your training.
Although it is unnecessary in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it may give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam qualifies you to perform more advanced jobs. This clearly makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some helpful information and are ready to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Northumberland, PA listed and you will be on your way to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013