If perhaps you’re contemplating changing occupations, and are in search of an exciting and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded financially, you probably should consider Dental Assistant Schools in Oakwood, GA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary levels upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a somewhat fast certification program, you could change professions quickly.
What should you lookout for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Oakwood, GA?
Focus on Science and Theory
Be sure to try to find a program which provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will have to know everything from how to make a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills that you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to grasp the basics of the occupation, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. However, bear in mind that not all employers that you attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assisting program in Oakwood, GA should offer a chance to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or clinical training. This offers multiple benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, instead of just something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical experience in your chosen profession. It is one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, however it is a totally different thing to actually x-ray an actual patient! Thirdly, possessing real-world experience enables you to be substantially more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it really is what you wish to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Oakwood, GA
- The Fortis Dental Assistant program teaches skills through hands-on experience
- Students will be shown how to work chair-side as dentists examine & treat patients
- All Fortis colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or others
- Fortis has a dedicated team in place to support US military students
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
At UEI College, we want you to succeed. We’re like a family and we want you to be a part of it. From the moment you enter ourschool, to graduation and beyond, we are right there with you.
- Dental Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Medical Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Hardly any job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the most recent dental procedures and to have completed school with perfect grades. As many as 75 per cent of all men and women in the US experience some level of dental fear or phobia. To work in this profession, you will need the skills to know how to manage people who might be fearful of tooth and gum procedures, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to master these skills is via hands-on teaching in the classroom, and feeling secure enough with the practical knowledge to calm frightened patients.
As in nearly every occupation, you are going to be a part of an office team. You need to learn how to communicate with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office staff. A training program that enables you to learn in a team setting will benefit you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a really wide ranging field, and the variety of tasks varies drastically from one office to another. Working for a small , family-run office in a rural area could be very different from being part of a large, corporate dental clinic in a big city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. Should you be focused on a specific career path, make certain that the you select offers it, or is going to help you secure a position in your preferred concentration once you graduate.
Even though it is not necessary in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it may provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies you to do more complex work. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a possible employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some valuable information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Oakwood, GA listed and you will be on your way to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013