If perhaps you’re contemplating switching occupations, and are seeking a challenging and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded financially, you probably should look into Dental Assistant Schools in Parkville, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a comparatively swift certification program, you can change careers fairly quickly.
What should you lookout for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Parkville, MO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure that you look for a program which provides a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to have knowledge of everything from how to make an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills that you ought to not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited school with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to grasp the essentials of the industry, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Nevertheless, bear in mind that not all employers that you attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A top dental assistant program in Parkville, MO should provide you with a chance to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or practical training. This offers multiple benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, and not just something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll gain some practical education in your chosen profession. It can be one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray a real person! Thirdly, possessing real life experience enables you to be much more valuable to prospective employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is truly what you want to do. The more working experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Parkville, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Virtually no job is purely technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to learn about the latest dental procedures and to have finished school with perfect grades. Approximately 75 percent of all adults in the US are affected by some level of dental fear or phobia. To work in this line of work, you need the skills to understand how to deal with people who may be scared of tooth and periodontal treatments, or even of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to master these skills is with hands-on instructing in the classroom, and getting secure enough with the practical experience to soothe frightened patients.
As with virtually any industry, you are part of an office team. You will need to learn how to communicate with patients, as well as with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office workers. A training program which enables you to work in a team environment can help you greatly in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a wonderfully extensive field, and the type of tasks varies considerably from one office to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a rural area may be very different from being part of a major, corporate dental office in a major city. In addition there are several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison work. If you happen to be focused on a specific career path, be sure that the you finally choose offers it, or is going to assist you to secure a job in your preferred concentration after you graduate.
Even though it is not necessary in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam enables one to do more complex jobs. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some handy information and are ready to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Parkville, MO displayed and you will be on your way to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013